I feel like things have been pretty different this time around.
So far this pregnancy:
- I’ve felt absolutely parched. Like, just dying for a cold glass of ice water but all the water I did drink wasn’t cold enough or didn’t taste “right”. Or when I did get a glass of water that tasted great and was cold enough, I could only sip it slowly or else risk feeling nauseous. I wanted to chug a glass of water a fraction of a degree above absolute zero. Is that too much to ask??
- I’ve hated ranch dressing and ground beef. Just started to like ground beef again, which is great because I love me a good hamburger! But ranch? No thank you. I hope this isn’t permanent.
- I had less morning sickness this time around. I feel like it lasted for a shorter length of time and the severity wasn’t quite as bad. Don’t get me wrong, it was bad. But at least I didn’t barf in a car this time around… (oh wait, did I ever mention I did that while pregnant with Addy? Ya, morning rush hour in Houston, 6am, in the throes of morning sickness… traffic had stopped so I literally barfed in a grocery sack. Good thing I brought it with me…)
- Oranges were my miracle cure for morning sickness. <== this is similar to when I was pregnant with Addy.
- I lost weight during the first trimester and it took me until I was 16 weeks pregnant to get back up to my pre-pregnancy weight. At one point, I was 10 lbs below my pre-pregnancy weight… I guess that’s what happens when you can’t eat. That weight is going to start piling back on soon though. Oh man, I looked back at a pic of me 30 weeks pregnant with Addy and I looked H-U-G-E. And I still had 10 weeks to go! Ahhh, pregnancy.
I haven’t had any particular cravings this time around. In fact, nothing has really sounded fantastic. And nothing I’ve eaten has been exactly what I’ve wanted. With Addy, everything was delicious. Maybe I just haven’t found what I wanted yet…
I take this back. The one thing that I keep thinking about is sushi. I had a spicy California roll (no raw fish in it, don’t worry!) in Houston when we went to visit my sis early on in the pregnancy and it was like heaven in my mouth! Mmmm, I would give up… hmm, well, I don’t know what I would give up, but I just know that I would do just about anything to have some more of that spicy California roll. It was just.so.good.
- My dreams have been really weird and super vivid. So vivid, in fact, that some mornings I wake up and feel like I’ve been up all night. Waking up tired is not the way I want to start my day. For example, I tried to learn how to drive a car whose accelerator and brake pedals were on the underside of the driver’s seat. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t twist enough to push down the pedals. I mean, come on! How does a car like that even work?? It’s exhausting, dreaming like this.
- The mood swings are out of control. I can go from happy to crying in 0.25 seconds. Okay, maybe it’s closer to 2.5 seconds, but it is ridiculous how fast my mood can change. It has been particularly bad lately. Bless Derek for putting up with his weepy, pregnant wife.
Adelyn is 20 months old and I am 18 weeks, 4 days pregnant.